Surrey Alliance Church
Haiti, Grand Goave (Thozin)
August 21, 2011 - September 2, 2011
A group of youth and young adults from Surrey Alliance Church traveled to Grand Goave, Haiti as a part of their church's involvement in community transformation. The trip was led by Andrew Quinn of Surrey Alliance Church alongside HFL Leader Gord Houghton. The team participated in the various ministry opportunities of our field partner Haiti ARISE Ministries, such as: bible studies, sports ministries and home visitations. Alongside the ministry activities, the team also worked on the construction of homes for families in the community and painted classrooms at HAM campus.
- 100 students received school supplies
- 60 skipping ropes and 10 soccer balls provided for a school
- 2 house began construction
- 4 classrooms painted
- 40 hygiene bags given out
- 25 Home visitations
- 30 girls at a girls youth night
- 200 personal chalkboards donated for school
cooler purchased for the school
- 4 goats purchased for families
- 3 English classes taught
- 2 local soccer teams received jerseys and balls
- Provided a seafood dinner for HAM staff and gave thank-you gifts
- Fixed cement mixer, school fence, playground equipment, bobcat
- Shared our testimonies in Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday church
"It made me realize how easy we have it here in Canada. If we are sick we just go to a doctor, but here they have to be able to afford it and most people can't."
"I really enjoyed going to the Sunday church service because there was so much energy and passion for God radiating from all the people."
"One thing I am going to change in the next six months is to live with less stuff. I realized how much excess stuff we have that we think we need but we don't at all."
"God really showed me the value in taking the time to get to know people and that His love for us is endless, even when we feel like we have nothing to offer."
One thing I am going to change in the next six months is, "to focus on having only my needs met and not all the extra things I don't need but just want."The experiences of this trip, "made me realize how grateful I should be for what I have and has showed me how God is really working in this country."