The following list of books, websites and other resources have influenced our ministry in a substantial way. If you are interested in learning more, click on the links and they will direct you to a site where you can purchase or find more information.
Poverty & Justice:
20% of the world’s population consumes 80% of the world’s resources, leaving the other 80% of people to survive on the remaining 20% of material goods and services. Extreme poverty is a complex and multifaceted global issue with many factors and Hungry For Life seeks to be a voice to bring compassion and justice to the world’s poor.
Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger (20th Anniversary Edition) by Ronald J Sider
The Revolution: A Field Manual For Changing Your World by Heather Zydek
Hungry For Life works to provide both relief and development to improve and sustain a higher quality of life for the world’s poor. Over the last decade, grassroots initiatives have proved to be the greatest agent of change and we believe that partnerships and micro-development is necessary to break the cycle of extreme poverty.
The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities For Our Time by Jeffery D Sachs
How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas by David Bornstein
Church & Society:
Hungry For Life is intimately concerned that the Church has lost her voice of credibility and influence in our culture. More and more people are among those who do not attend a local church, and the drastic contrast between the twenty-first century church and the first century church is causing those who continue attending weekly services to question if their experience of God is really what He intended.
Revolution by George Barna
Borderless Church: Shaping the Church for the 21st Century by David Lundy
The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating The Missional Church by Allan Hirsch
Story of Stuff
Hungry For Life is convinced that churches and individual Christians in North America have the opportunity and responsibility to affect unprecedented change in response to global social justice. The Church has been given the power of God and the resources of the kingdom to be a force of love and compassion; however it will require a radical abandonment of our comfort, security and safety.
How Much is Enough?: Hungering for God in an Affluent Culture by Arthur Simon
Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne
Red Letters: Living a Faith That Bleeds by Tom Davis
Hungry For Life understands that effective aid and substantial improvement for the world’s poor is best accomplished through international partnerships with community leaders. Knowledge and understanding are crucial to communicating cross-culturally in a way that is sensitive, productive, and Christ-centered.
Hofstede Cultural Dimensions
Hungry For Life was born out of a deep desire to see God’s power and presence revealed throughout this world. Music and creative arts are a huge part of our motivational ministry as we lead a growing number of people in our Shekinah worship events.
Go Worship – CD by Various Artists
Each paid staff member of Hungry For Life has committed to raising 100% of his/her support (salary). This important step of faith adds an incredible spiritual dynamic of trust and dependence on God, and affirms God’s call on each of our staff, surrounding them with a team of people who pray for them regularly.
People Raising: A Practical Guide to Raising Support by William Dillon
Friend Raising: Building a Missionary Support Team That Lasts by Betty Barnett